PARENTING SAFE CHILDREN PROFESSIONAL IN-SERVICE
As a professional, you are in a unique position to prevent child sexual abuse. Not only can you empower children in your care and educate their parents, but you can also advocate for institutional policies and procedures that support child safety.
When you offer the PSC Professional In-service, your staff will learn very specific tools to keep your organization—agency, school, hospital, health group, place of faith, or youth groups—off limits to sexual abusers. In addition, I educate staff on disclosure and reporting requirements. The Parenting Safe Children prevention model was developed over two decades in the field.
1. Professional Education
You will learn what makes children vulnerable to sexual abuse.
- Who do sexual abusers target and why?
- How do sexual abusers “groom” children?
- What are the warning signs that a child, teen, or adult may be harming a child sexually?
- What is the difference between age-appropriate sexual behavior and problematic sexual behavior?
2. Building Safe Schools & Youth Organizations
You will learn policies, screening techniques, and reporting guidelines for your organizations.
- What are the characteristics of safe organizations?
- What questions might an informed parent ask when screening you?
- What basic policies ought to be in place to keep schools, places of faith, and youth organizations off limits to sexual abusers?
- How do you handle concerning behaviors of colleagues?
- How do you handle sexual abuse disclosures from children?
- How do you respond to a child if he or she discloses sexual abuse?
- What are your reporting responsibilities when you know or suspect abuse of a child?
3. Child Empowerment
You will lean body-safety rules that help keep children safe while in your care.
- What is the role of boundaries and privacy in keeping kids safe?
- What is the line between appropriate and inappropriate touch of children in your care?
- How can you answer children’s questions appropriately regarding sex and sexual development?
- How can body-safety rules be applied in your organization?
- How can you intervene effectively when children in your care are exploring sexually?
If you are interested in bringing the Parenting Safe Children Professional In-service to your organization, Email or Call to discuss format, pricing, or other questions. If you live outside the Denver Metro area or outside of Colorado, you may wish to purchase the Parenting Safe Children Online Workshop, even though it's geared toward parents.
If staff members would like continuing education units (CEUs), we can provide certificates of attendance. Here are some testimonials from past participants.